Thomson Reuters Foundation launches free information service for disaster-struck Haitians
Thomson Reuters Foundation launches free information service for disaster-struck Haitians
* Thomson Reuters Foundation puts in place first-of-its-kind Emergency Information Service (EIS) in Haiti
* EIS provides practical, reliable information to earthquake survivors, using local languages French and Creole
* The service is free and global. People can register via a simple text message. Families and friends around the world can also register loved ones' numbers on their behalf
* Survivors will receive critical news and information direct to their mobile phones
PORT AU PRINCE, Jan 17 - Thomson Reuters Foundation on Sunday launched a first-of-its kind, free disaster-information service for the people of Haiti.
The service allows survivors of Haiti's earthquake to receive critical information by text message directly to their phones, free of charge.
To register, survivors simply text their location to the SMS shortcode 4636. By return, up-to-date, reliable, actionable information will be sent to them wherever they are in Haiti, helping them to reach shelter, aid and loved ones. The service will cost them nothing.
The service also acts as a news and information gathering mechanism, whereby survivors can report information directly into the EIS team of specialist journalists. The EIS team will collate this information and it will be made available to agencies, emergency teams and local media.
People outside of Haiti and the quake zone can register their loved ones' cell phone numbers on their behalf.
TO REGISTER FOR THE SERVICE
- If inside Haiti: text your location to 4636 directly from your own phone
- If inside Haiti and registering someone else's phone number: send a text with REGISTER or REGISTRE and the loved ones' number and location, to 4636
- If overseas: text REGISTER or REGISTRE and the loved ones' local Haiti number and location to +4673 749 4535
- Note: The SMS shortcode is dependent on local telecom infrastructure; if the infrastructure fails, the local SMS service will not work.
The EIS also aims to get critical information to survivors via local media, especially radio, and Thomson Reuters Foundation already has a team of expert humanitarian journalists in Haiti working around the clock to collect and disseminate information.
Working with technology partner InSTEDD and aid agencies including the Red Cross, Thomson Reuters Foundation aims to help Haitians with practical information to help them take control of their own recovery.
Thomson Reuters Foundation CEO Monique Villa said: "In times of major natural catastrophes, information itself is aid, as crucial as shelter or blankets. All forms of communication in Haiti have been impaired and the EIS team will help fill the communication void providing reliable, actionable information to the disaster affected population.
"We only launched our new service in December on the fifth anniversary of the Asian Tsunami and whilst you never want or anticipate significant natural disasters, I am pleased that our service is now up and running so that we can come to the aid of the people of Haiti."
The Emergency Information Service is a first service of its kind, launched by the Thomson Reuters Foundation in December 2009. The EIS will be deployed when major natural disasters strikes communities around the world, leaving them with no reliable communication infrastructure.
EIS Action-Units will be deployed within hours of a disaster and upon arrival in the disaster zone will seek out, collate and disseminate life-saving information to disaster-hit populations. Key to the EIS if the use of local language for the affected population.
Thomson Reuters Foundation has developed groundbreaking technology to allow the EIS team and other groups to assimilate and process multiple information streams in an emergency. The tools let the EIS Action-Units generate information services for dissemination in local languages via SMS, email and web page.
When all communications are down, the EIS will turn to low-tech means such as leaflets, community notice boards and even megaphones. The Thomson Reuters Foundation joined by the Red Cross to act as a key delivery partner in disaster zones.
All Rights Reserved
For Publication Subject to creditline Thomson Reuters Foundation / Duckhouseblog
JULIAN BRAY ++44(0)1733 345581 BROADCAST ISDN ++44(0)1733 345 020 all codecs
MOBILE: 07944 217476
AVIATION SECURITY EXPERT, AIRLINE OPERATIONS & NATIONAL SECURITY ISSUES.
BROADCASTER, COLUMNIST & JOURNALIST. NUJ & FULL EQUITY MEMBER.
IMMEDIATE LIVE BROADCASTING VIA OWN ISDN COOBE, STUDIO & HIGH SPEED BROADBAND SKYPE
ISDN +44 (0) 1733 345020.
OFFICE +44 (0) 1733 345581
AVIATION & CRUISE, MARTIME INCIDENTS, SAFETY ISSUES, TRAVEL THREATS & PERILS, TERRORISM ISSUES, WORLD TRAVEL & INSURANCE COVER ISSUES, CONFLICT ZONES, LONDON RUNWAY, FEATURES & CORRESPONDENT RESEARCH PACKAGES. NATIONAL & LOCAL POLITICS, LAW & ORDER, LITIGATION SUPPORT.
"Adept at holding national and international politicians and business people to account, has a 'Marmite' but considered approach to politics and always well prepared" Iain Wilson
Julian Bray broadcasts and comments via ISDN +44 (0)1733 345020 (GLENSOUND C5 Dual Codec), VoIP and SKYPE >>> JULIAN.BRAY.UK <<< mobile 07944 217 476
BBC Contributor 10476453
LANDLINE number in the UK is +44(0) 1733 345581 Use this number to pre-brief or to book link.
TELEVSION AND RADIO LIVE INTERVIEWS AND CONTRIBUTIONS
RUSSIA METROJET, GERMANWINGS, MH17 INCIDENTS and other RECENT TV NEWS & RADIO AUDIO FEEDS
LASER PENS BBC NEWS
https://www.rt.com/op-edge/323287-su24-fighter-russia-turkey-syria/ Scroll down final VT
http://www.cbc.ca/i/caffeine/syndicate/?mediaId=2685621754 AIR DUBAI CRASH MARCH 2016 Television 2-way with CBC Canada via 'upmarket' SKYPE
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/plane-circled-airport-bad-weather-110053170.html AIR DUBAI CRASH 19/03/2016 Julian Bray first reaction
Julian Bray Broadcaster Radio Podcasts Selection
CargoLogic Air load one of their mega all cargo aircraft. In addition to purpose built frighters, many end of first lease, state-of-the-art wide-bodied passenger aircraft are currently being snapped up and rapidly re-purposed for all cargo operation. As the 21st Century trend is away from airport hub/spoke operation - apparently Heathrow [LHR] is yet to get the memo… -and towards single aisle narrow bodied passenger/cargo hold aircraft, working point to point schedules continues apace ...
JULIAN BRAY ++44(0)1733 345581
Illustrated Convention Lectures & Workshops, Keynotes, Broadcast Briefings, Media Presentational Training, Aviation Security and Operations Incident Management Consultancy
(ISDN BROADCAST LINK ++44(0)1733 345 020) all codecs G.722 & ATX Developed for use in ISDN remote broadcasting, G.722 is the original wideband speech codec to be standardized by the ITU-T. By sampling the speech signal at 16 kHz, G.722 more than doubles the encoded speech information, providing richer sound and better clarity than narrowband speech codecs. ( (ISDN2 BT BOX INSTALLED AT HOME: LIVE LINKS AVAILABLE AROUND THE CLOCK )
Book slot on landline 01733 345581
Mob: 07944 217476 http://www.aviationcomment.com/ E&OE
COVERING TRANSPORTATION & ASSOCIATED POLITICAL ISSUES IN ALL FORMS plus RELATED INDUSTRIES including AEROSPACE, COMPUTER NETWORKS, RAIL, AVIATION, CRUISE, FERRIES, MERCHANT MARITIME, MILITARY, TRAVEL & HOLIDAY INDUSTRIES, CAA REPORTS, TERRORISM & SABOTAGE, COMPUTER MISUSE & SYSTEM FAILURES, TRAVEL AGENTS, ATOL ISSUES, CIVIL & COMMERCIAL AVIATION. AIRSHOW ORGANISATION & LOGISTICS.
Contact numbers 01733 345581 OR Trusty Nokia Mobile: 07944 217 476 OFFICE: 01733 345581 and answerphone email: firstname.lastname@example.org
BROADCAST ISDN2 LINE: 01733 345020 ISDN DIGITAL DIAL-UP only. [ BH VENDOR #10476453 add PE28xl ]
SKYPE: JULIAN.BRAY.UK (directly wired Ethernet connection on high speed Virginmedia cable) ALSO GLENSOUND ISDN GSGC5 ISDN LOCATION UNITS FOR PROFESSIONAL DRY HIRE
Julian Bray provides: Opinion, comment, forward thinking speculation, keynote presentations and workshops for corporate organisations on Travel, Cruise & Aviation: conflict zones, terrorist impact, cybercrime and DoS issues, drone (UAV) issues, safety (black boxes, emergencies), airline operations, aviation finance, political implications, and all forms of incident risk.
He operated at board level with several airline and aviation groups, including Alitalia, British Island Airways, British Airways, Galileo , British Aerospace, Skyways, former CEO City firm Leadenhall Assoc. (PR WEEK TOP 150) Founder CNS City News Service. Director NTN Television News (joint co. with ITV Wales TWW) Debretts People 2017 and featured in launch edition of the PRWeek Black Book. Investigative Journalist and Broadcaster.
After-dinner speaker and presenter. NUJ LIFE MEMBER & FULL EQUITY MEMBER.
Direct links to a selection of television and radio contributions can be found at foot of this page. Scroll down. Join the conversation here or on Twitter at @aviationcomment @julianbray.
A retweet, comment or other publication by any means does not constitute an endorsement. Quoted Content subject to creditline 'Julian Bray' . During career an active MCIPR, MMC & MBDS.
Main UK telephone and prime contact number 01733 345581.
Mob: 07944 217476
ISDN2 Loop Test (by arrangement) 01733 345020
Download the new CAA DRONECODE HERE : http://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Dronecode.pdf
Glensound GSGC5 ISDN LOCATION (COOBE - FLYAWAY) COMMENTARY UNITS/COLES LIP MICS FOR PROFESSIONAL HIRE
VIDEO PROJECTOR & SMALL FORMAT PUBLIC ADDRESS/ MUSIC PLAYOUT HIRE
BBC LOCAL NEWSROOMS
The Small Print...
TERMS & CONDITIONS
This is the small print, demanded by the legal eagles, we've tried to keep it clear and simple, this is in addition to, and not in the alternative to the NUJ Code of Professional Conduct.
- The content this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors, we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements and you have made your own independent enquires as to the content..
- This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than for review purposes, or where specific permission has been granted, for example in connection with a commission or contribution supported by a written contract and any terms in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- All trademarks reproduced in this website, which are not the property of, or licensed to the operator, are acknowledged on the website.
- Unauthorized use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the linked to website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
- E&OE Errors and omissions excepted. Use of quoted content subject to creditline: Julian Bray, broadcaster.
- Writers P.I. & P L I. # WRT001966
Alert for restricted airspace - London and vicinity of Watford (Temporary) NATO and Heads of State Meeting in Watford and Head of State visit to Londonhttps://mailchi.mp/caa/alert-for-restricted-airspace-london-and-vicinity-of-watford-temporary?e=2437c5cb26 Julian Bray NUJ, EQUITY, MMC, Br...
Huge setback for Boeing MAX8 rehabilitation as new documents emerge and allegations that Boeing knew of test pilot concerns at an early stage....https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-safety/new-document-in-737-max-investigation-points-to-chaos-pressure-in-mcas-development/ Julian Bray N...