Who messed up the Software ???
BBC Polllard Review e-mails powers staff reshuffles:
The email message below is being sent to all BBC Staff by Time Davie Acting DG
Check against Delivery !
We have received and considered Nick Pollard’s report on the management of the original Newsnight investigation into Jimmy Savile and the subsequent Editor’s blog.
I want to share with you the key findings and what we are going to do about the recommendations, which we accept in full.
I think it’s worth remembering why we originally commissioned such a thorough and independent report. Accusations of a ‘cover up’ were being made against the BBC, and that management placed unjustified pressure on the team not to run the story. The independence and integrity of our journalism is crucial to the publics' trust in us.
I am pleased to say that the review found no evidence of any improper pressure to prevent the broadcast of the Newsnight investigation or to protect the Jimmy Savile tribute programmes.
That said, the report exposed clear failings in some of our systems, the way we work together and make decisions. It also picks up on specific issues such as the role of Editors’ blogs and the comprehensive use of the Managed Risk Programme List as a way to highlight potential issues relating to programmes. You can see a copy of the full Pollard Review report here.
What matters now is what we do about these findings. Again, you can see the full Executive Board and Trust response here. The actions we are taking relating to organisation and culture include:
· Newsnight is one of our flagship journalism programmes and we need to revitalise it. We have decided that the best way forward is for there to be a new senior editorial team on the programme. Peter Rippon, who has been Editor for the last four years, has agreed that this is in the best interests of himself and the programme. We are now talking to him about another role in the BBC, commensurate with his skills and experience. The post of Editor Newsnight will be advertised in the New Year and Karen O’Connor will continue as Acting Editor in the meantime.
· Helen Boaden will be returning to her post as Director of News tomorrow. This morning, the Deputy Director of BBC News, Stephen Mitchell, tendered his resignation which I have accepted with great sadness. He has been an outstanding and loyal servant of BBC News over the past 38 years and is widely and rightly admired for his editorial judgement and personal integrity. He will retire from the BBC at a date to be agreed next year, in the course of which he will hand over his responsibilities as head of news programmes.
· Improving the way we share information about the highest risk programmes and investigations across the BBC by making the Managed Risk Programme List work better. We’ll also see how we can improve communication at the senior level across Divisions in a way that also safeguards editorial independence. We do not propose to tackle these issues by adding increased processes or compliance.
· Reviewing how we publish Editors’ blogs.
· In the longer term, both myself and Tony Hall will look at what needs to change within the management and culture at BBC News while making sure we continue to produce outstanding journalism day-in-day-out. We will also look at how we make sure silos don’t get in the way of effective team-working and sharing information across the BBC.
· Finally, we will consider roles and responsibilities at the top of the BBC to ensure effective oversight of editorial standards.
The Trust are also publishing the editorial standards findings into what happened with the Newsnight McAlpine investigation on 2 November, which includes the full MacQuarrie report here. What happened was unacceptable and no one can be under any illusion about the seriousness of the mistakes made and there are some organisational changes as a result. We have sought to be fair to the individuals involved, recognising their previously long and unblemished record of service with the BBC and the exceptional circumstances in which they had been placed.
Specifically, Adrian Van Klaveren, Controller Radio 5 live, will start a new senior role and we’ll confirm details early in the New Year. He will hand over his responsibility for Radio 5 live to Jonathan Wall who will be Acting Controller while the process for a full time replacement is completed. As already mentioned, there will be a new Newsnight senior editorial team and Liz Gibbons, Deputy Editor of Newsnight, will move to another role in BBC News. Peter Johnston continues in his role as Director Northern Ireland.
These reviews have been a tough process for the BBC and particularly for the individuals involved, all of whom have had long and respected careers at the BBC. We have already faced significant consequences including the resignation of a DG. Looking forward, the changes we need to make to ensure these failings do not happen again are not about new rules and regulations. They are about making existing processes work and improving the way we communicate and make decisions. I hope that with a new year, we can draw a line under it, learn from our mistakes and refocus on our audiences.
Acting BBC DG Tim Davie announces 5 Live controller Adrian Van Klaveren is stepping down from his role.
In an email to staff, Davie said Van Klaveren will move to a new senior role within the BBC in the new year, and hand over his responsibility for Radio 5 live to Jonathan Wall who will be Acting Controller while the process for a full time replacement is completed.
Adrain sent a note to staff saying his departure from the national station is not representative of the way he performed his job there, more about the events which happened whilst he was temporarily looking after another role.
The full email to staff from Tim Davie this afternoon also said there will be be a new senior editorial team on Newsnight, and Helen Boaden will be returning to her post as Director of News tomorrow because of recent investigations into Jimmy Savile allegations.
In additional Adrian Van Klaveren has made a statement saying “it is a very sad day for me at the end of an incredibly difficult few weeks.
The full statement is below:
Your support over this period has been nothing short of overwhelming and has meant so much to me. I do not propose to go into detail here about the events surrounding the Newsnight Report on 2nd November but you can read the BBC’s account elsewhere. What is of course especially hard to take is that I am leaving 5 live as a result of events which had nothing to do with how I carried out my job here. Rather it happened after I had just begun a temporary role in the most challenging of circumstances.
What I do want to say today is that I have had a wonderful five years at 5 live. Together we have taken audience numbers and quality ratings to record highs, we have won many awards including Sony Radio Academy Station of the Year and we have successfully moved to Salford. We have started to embrace a digital revolution and there have been so many wonderful moments, culminating last summer in the Olympics and Paralympics, described last weekend in a review of the year as “radio’s crowning achievement of 2012.”
I will miss 5 live terribly, the programmes, our listeners but, much more than anything else, I will miss all of you who work on the station. You are without doubt the best team of people I have ever worked with. Every day you make brilliant radio with a spirit and passion I have rarely seen elsewhere. You can look to the future with pride and confidence and it has been an honour to have played a part in shaping those prospects. I would like to thank all of my colleagues across BBC North where I believe we have started to build something which will help guide the reinvention of the BBC and equally I would like to thank colleagues from all parts of BBC Radio for their support over the past few years.
There’ll be more details of my new job early in the New Year. As I begin what will without doubt be a new and fascinating chapter in my BBC career, I will be handing over 5 live to Jonathan Wall who will be Acting Controller for the next few weeks. I wish him and the rest of you all the luck in the world and I will now return to being one of 5 live’s most dedicated listeners.
Best wishes and Merry Christmas
Contributor: Media Expert, Aviation, Politics & Travel Commentator, Broadcaster & Journalist Julian Bray NUJ, EQUITY UK Landline: 01733 345581 Mobile: 07944 217476 ISDN2 +44(0)1733 555 319 (UK HOME ISDN 01733 555319) G722/APT-X Dual Codecs SKYPE: JULIAN.BRAY.UK
Search JULIAN BRAY AVIATION SECURITY BLOG
JULIAN BRAY ++44(0)1733 345581 BROADCAST ISDN ++44(0)1733 345 020 all codecs
MOBILE: 07944 217476
AVIATION SECURITY EXPERT, AIRLINE OPERATIONS & NATIONAL SECURITY ISSUES.
BROADCASTER, COLUMNIST & JOURNALIST. NUJ & FULL EQUITY MEMBER.
IMMEDIATE LIVE BROADCASTING VIA OWN ISDN COOBE, STUDIO & HIGH SPEED BROADBAND SKYPE
ISDN +44 (0) 1733 345020.
OFFICE +44 (0) 1733 345581
AVIATION & CRUISE, MARTIME INCIDENTS, SAFETY ISSUES, TRAVEL THREATS & PERILS, TERRORISM ISSUES, WORLD TRAVEL & INSURANCE COVER ISSUES, CONFLICT ZONES, LONDON RUNWAY, FEATURES & CORRESPONDENT RESEARCH PACKAGES. NATIONAL & LOCAL POLITICS, LAW & ORDER, LITIGATION SUPPORT.
"Adept at holding national and international politicians and business people to account, has a 'Marmite' but considered approach to politics and always well prepared" Iain Wilson
Julian Bray broadcasts and comments via ISDN +44 (0)1733 345020 (GLENSOUND C5 Dual Codec), VoIP and SKYPE >>> JULIAN.BRAY.UK <<< mobile 07944 217 476
BBC Contributor 10476453
LANDLINE number in the UK is +44(0) 1733 345581 Use this number to pre-brief or to book link.
TELEVSION AND RADIO LIVE INTERVIEWS AND CONTRIBUTIONS
RUSSIA METROJET, GERMANWINGS, MH17 INCIDENTS and other RECENT TV NEWS & RADIO AUDIO FEEDS
LASER PENS BBC NEWS
https://www.rt.com/op-edge/323287-su24-fighter-russia-turkey-syria/ Scroll down final VT
http://www.cbc.ca/i/caffeine/syndicate/?mediaId=2685621754 AIR DUBAI CRASH MARCH 2016 Television 2-way with CBC Canada via 'upmarket' SKYPE
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/plane-circled-airport-bad-weather-110053170.html AIR DUBAI CRASH 19/03/2016 Julian Bray first reaction
Julian Bray Broadcaster Radio Podcasts Selection
CargoLogic Air load one of their mega all cargo aircraft. In addition to purpose built frighters, many end of first lease, state-of-the-art wide-bodied passenger aircraft are currently being snapped up and rapidly re-purposed for all cargo operation. As the 21st Century trend is away from airport hub/spoke operation - apparently Heathrow [LHR] is yet to get the memo… -and towards single aisle narrow bodied passenger/cargo hold aircraft, working point to point schedules continues apace ...
JULIAN BRAY ++44(0)1733 345581
Illustrated Convention Lectures & Workshops, Keynotes, Broadcast Briefings, Media Presentational Training, Aviation Security and Operations Incident Management Consultancy
(ISDN BROADCAST LINK ++44(0)1733 345 020) all codecs G.722 & ATX Developed for use in ISDN remote broadcasting, G.722 is the original wideband speech codec to be standardized by the ITU-T. By sampling the speech signal at 16 kHz, G.722 more than doubles the encoded speech information, providing richer sound and better clarity than narrowband speech codecs. ( (ISDN2 BT BOX INSTALLED AT HOME: LIVE LINKS AVAILABLE AROUND THE CLOCK )
Book slot on landline 01733 345581
Mob: 07944 217476 http://www.aviationcomment.com/ E&OE
COVERING TRANSPORTATION & ASSOCIATED POLITICAL ISSUES IN ALL FORMS plus RELATED INDUSTRIES including AEROSPACE, COMPUTER NETWORKS, RAIL, AVIATION, CRUISE, FERRIES, MERCHANT MARITIME, MILITARY, TRAVEL & HOLIDAY INDUSTRIES, CAA REPORTS, TERRORISM & SABOTAGE, COMPUTER MISUSE & SYSTEM FAILURES, TRAVEL AGENTS, ATOL ISSUES, CIVIL & COMMERCIAL AVIATION. AIRSHOW ORGANISATION & LOGISTICS.
Contact numbers 01733 345581 OR Trusty Nokia Mobile: 07944 217 476 OFFICE: 01733 345581 and answerphone email: firstname.lastname@example.org
BROADCAST ISDN2 LINE: 01733 345020 ISDN DIGITAL DIAL-UP only. [ BH VENDOR #10476453 add PE28xl ]
SKYPE: JULIAN.BRAY.UK (directly wired Ethernet connection on high speed Virginmedia cable) ALSO GLENSOUND ISDN GSGC5 ISDN LOCATION UNITS FOR PROFESSIONAL DRY HIRE
Julian Bray provides: Opinion, comment, forward thinking speculation, keynote presentations and workshops for corporate organisations on Travel, Cruise & Aviation: conflict zones, terrorist impact, cybercrime and DoS issues, drone (UAV) issues, safety (black boxes, emergencies), airline operations, aviation finance, political implications, and all forms of incident risk.
He operated at board level with several airline and aviation groups, including Alitalia, British Island Airways, British Airways, Galileo , British Aerospace, Skyways, former CEO City firm Leadenhall Assoc. (PR WEEK TOP 150) Founder CNS City News Service. Director NTN Television News (joint co. with ITV Wales TWW) Debretts People 2017 and featured in launch edition of the PRWeek Black Book. Investigative Journalist and Broadcaster.
After-dinner speaker and presenter. NUJ LIFE MEMBER & FULL EQUITY MEMBER.
Direct links to a selection of television and radio contributions can be found at foot of this page. Scroll down. Join the conversation here or on Twitter at @aviationcomment @julianbray.
A retweet, comment or other publication by any means does not constitute an endorsement. Quoted Content subject to creditline 'Julian Bray' . During career an active MCIPR, MMC & MBDS.
Main UK telephone and prime contact number 01733 345581.
Mob: 07944 217476
ISDN2 Loop Test (by arrangement) 01733 345020
Download the new CAA DRONECODE HERE : http://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Dronecode.pdf
Glensound GSGC5 ISDN LOCATION (COOBE - FLYAWAY) COMMENTARY UNITS/COLES LIP MICS FOR PROFESSIONAL HIRE
VIDEO PROJECTOR & SMALL FORMAT PUBLIC ADDRESS/ MUSIC PLAYOUT HIRE
BBC LOCAL NEWSROOMS
The Small Print...
TERMS & CONDITIONS
This is the small print, demanded by the legal eagles, we've tried to keep it clear and simple, this is in addition to, and not in the alternative to the NUJ Code of Professional Conduct.
- The content this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors, we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements and you have made your own independent enquires as to the content..
- This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than for review purposes, or where specific permission has been granted, for example in connection with a commission or contribution supported by a written contract and any terms in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- All trademarks reproduced in this website, which are not the property of, or licensed to the operator, are acknowledged on the website.
- Unauthorized use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the linked to website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
- E&OE Errors and omissions excepted. Use of quoted content subject to creditline: Julian Bray, broadcaster.
- Writers P.I. & P L I. # WRT001966
Alert for restricted airspace - London and vicinity of Watford (Temporary) NATO and Heads of State Meeting in Watford and Head of State visit to Londonhttps://mailchi.mp/caa/alert-for-restricted-airspace-london-and-vicinity-of-watford-temporary?e=2437c5cb26 Julian Bray NUJ, EQUITY, MMC, Br...
Huge setback for Boeing MAX8 rehabilitation as new documents emerge and allegations that Boeing knew of test pilot concerns at an early stage....https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-safety/new-document-in-737-max-investigation-points-to-chaos-pressure-in-mcas-development/ Julian Bray N...