Tunisia still remains a no go area, and unless The Foreign and Commonwealth Office in the UK changes its advice to travellers; holidaymakers own medical and travel insurance will not be valid, and no emergency repatriations or medical evacuations are available under CAA bonding arrangements.
The influx of tourists is down by 90 %, but unbelievably that leaves a misguided 10 % who are defiantly (we say pig-headedly) ignoring all the professional advice to give Tunisia a miss, and making their own arrangements to return to Tunisia.
Many holiday airlines say they are keeping matters under review, but essentially there is little hope in the short to medium term of these charter aircraft returning, as they are also unable to get insurance cover at realistic premiums to cover their own operations. Its not just a problem for Tunisia but the whole of North Africa, which is still one extended conflict or war zone.
This is what we said shortly after the beach massacre just over a year ago, much of the information is still valid and should be carefully considered if holidaymakers are in fact ignoring advice.
Julian Brays current advice (in June 2016) is that the whole North African coastline is still highly unstable and frankly not worth the risk to a family and children.
Independent business travellers may take a different commercial view, but are advise to take blood plasma products and sterile medical sets with them as directed by their firms security advisers.
TUNISIA JUNE 2015 (One year ago)...
Thousands of fatigued Britons are spending their first few days back in the UK after returning from the warlike conditions of Tunisia where gun fights have broken out between the Army and street gangs. Tunisia is located just 200 miles from Sicily, Italy. Many of these long term holidaymakers are short of funds and ready cash, they were enjoying extended low cost winter sun breaks in the north African country, before being flown home by their tour operators over the weekend on Foreign Office advice for UK nationals to leave the country.
The position is expected to be come clearer on Monday morning, as the ferry company reviews operations in and out of Tunisia.
The deposed President of Tunisia and his family fled to Saudi Arabia, all residences and businesses connected to the former president have been looted or destroyed. Tellingly the Army didn't stop the demonstrators.
JULIAN BRAY +44(0)1733 345581 Aviation Expert, Journalist & Broadcaster, Aviation Security & Airline Operations Expert, Travel / Maritime & Cruise Industry, NUJ, EQUITY, LIVE ISDN LINK, Broadcast ISDN COOBE ++44 (0)1733 345020 e&oe Old faithful NOKIA: 07944 217476 www.aviationcomment.com